Denton Local History Society
to, our website is being updated to work on PC Tablet and mobile, it's been a long road but we are finally there.
January 20 2019 - Dentonian Issue 70 added.
October 15th - Bee in the City on the Gallery page.
September 25th. Carnival Quiz Answers.
September 23rd. Updates to the events page.
Denton Local History Society – 2018 Carnival Quiz
Test your ‘ Street – cred! ‘
1. LUPTON STREET, named after Gabriel Lupton, landlord of The King’s Head from the 1770’s. He bought a plot of land on Ashton Road, near Crown Point and built houses and shops on it.
2. QUEBEC STREET,named after General Wolfe’s victory in 1759, the same year as the Battle of Crown Point.
3. KEY COURT, Mr. Burley Key was Haughton Green’s local historian for many years.
4. And 5. AINSWORTH CLOSE and HARRIS AVENUE, F.S. Ainsworth and G.R. Harris were former Chairmen of Denton U.D.C.
5. See above
6. ANNAN STREET , the site of Joseph Howe’s hatworks. The Howe family originated from Annan, Dumfrieshire.
7. BENTLEY ROAD, running parallel with Haughton Hall Road, the Bentley family, hat manufacturers, occupied Haughton Hall in the early 1800’s.
8. BOWDEN STREET, once the site of Lewis Bowden’s Farm, partly occupied now by Denton Liberal Club.
9. ROWE GREEN, the Rev. David Rowe was Rector of St. Lawrence Church 1881 – 1915.
10. GEORGE STREET, off Hyde Road, one of a number of streets in that area named after members of the Sidebotham family, mill and colliery owners, who built St. Anne’s Church.
11. LIME GROVE, once part of the extensive gardens of Denton Lodge, commonly known as Peacock Lodge, it being the home of the Peacock family, there were Lime trees around the perimeter.
12. STATHAM CLOSE, named after the famous cricketer, Brian Statham, who played his earliest cricket as a junior for Reddish and Gorton C.C., re-named Denton West C.C. in 1947.
13. VINERY GROVE, built to the rear of The Vinery Works on Town Lane, which did have a vinery.
14. WALTON WAY, James Walton owned the wireworks in Haughton Dale, he built the Iron School and the church of St. Mary the Virgin, Haughton Green.
15. HOLLAND STREET, the Holland family lived at Denton Hall, off Windmill Lane and were forebears of the Egertons, the name of the present Earl of Wilton.
HOW DID YOU SCORE? WHY NOT INVESTIGATE THE NAME OF THE STREET/ROAD/AVENUE, where you live?
exists to research, record, preserve, display and publish the memories , memorabilia, buildings and town of the people of Denton. The Society has an archive of printed material, including documents, maps and photographs, plus oral history and objects. Members meet once a month to hear a speaker and once a month at workshops to research, prepare exhibitions and deal with enquiries.
40 Years On
Denton Local History Society Back in 1978 Denton was being cut in two by the construction of the M67. Countless homes, shops, hat works and also several churches and schools were being demolished. So we founded Denton Local History Society and work was begun immediately to record all we could. Simultaneously thieves robbed the roof oﬀ part of derelict Denton Hall. Thus began our fight to save the remaining East Wing and research and record the rest of the site. We lost the fight but at least we have full records and also organised an archaeological dig, during which the previously unknown moat was uncovered, containing timbers and artefacts from the earlier hall. One of our members created a perfect scale model of the main hall with which he gave illustrated talks.
This hectic start decided us to hold monthly workshops, creating an archive and collection of artefacts in rooms provided by our library. An invite to Denton Show started our yearly exhibitions. (We now have over 300 display cards). Then followed an Oral History Project: from childhood in the Boer War, through two World Wars to today. Publications came next for the History Press and commentaries for Godfrey Maps.
Challenges continued. In 1990 the proposed Kingswater development across Debdale Vale would have destroyed early landscape, routes, buildings and part of Nicoditch, all presently preserved on two golf courses. After concentrated research, our book helped the campaigners to stop the proposal.
In the early 2000s, the Crown Point North shopping centre warranted mass demolition around Wilton Street, centre of hat production in Denton, plus about 70 homes, a chapel and shops.The developers invited us to have access to record pre development and even to put some artefacts on permanent display. Two information boards were created with their help and our book ‘Hats Oﬀ to Wilton Street’ was produced to mark our 25th anniversary.
In 2006 we were part of the council’s bid to restore the bandstand in Victoria Park. Research into the park’s history followed, culminating in the installation of two information boards and our school pack presented to each local school. Dressed in period costume our society members processed in the park at the unveiling of the bandstand.
Our input into the town continues with school visits, exhibition loans, providing speakers and advice, and welcoming family and other researchers. Some of our members have produced more books for us recently. Our membership grows but we are all growing older! To celebrate 40 years as a society, we shall, as usual, take over historic St Lawrence’s Church (once a chapel of Ease for Manchester Parish) for a week this October to showcase a special exhibition on Hatting in Denton. Sadly we failed in the council led bid to create an outdoor Hatting Corridor by the park and town hall for various hatting related artefacts. A local school has taken up the idea in their bid and so we still hope and will celebrate by sharing our anniversary with the people of Denton and the local schools.
Allan Arrowsmith and Jill Cronin